From liquid to solid state: the spray-drying process
- Spray-drying is a chemical process that dries microcapsules from a liquid dispersion to a solid composition in powder form.
It is the most widely used industrial method for the production of powder in household and hygiene products. The liquid product is sprayed in small droplets that meets hot air inside a spray dryer. The water in the product is then removed while preserving the qualities of the microcapsules.
- We offer a well mastered technology in the area of spray-drying.
Unfortunately, this technology comes at a cost. It takes a lot of time to clean the machine after changing the type of microcapsules or simply the fragrance.
- We therefore master this type of method, but it will only be profitable in high value-added markets such as pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.
- So we fully master this spray-drying method.
- However, these are not technologies that can be used in consumer products such as laundry detergents and softeners.
In addition, the powder obtained is very bulky, which is not an economic advantage in terms of transport.
- Accordingly, we are not using spray-drying.
- However, this technology can be used in the case of solid detergents when they are solidified and themselves prepared by spray-drying.
In this case, the microcapsules are added to the liquid composition before drying.
- When these spray-drying methods are not used to make solid laundry detergents, one can simply spray the appropriate capsules onto the powder. This is all the easier as the adjusted capsules have 45% of fragrance in their composition and are therefore used at low doses.
The advantages of spray-drying on detergent and softener
- Therefore, there are few advantages in the case of detergents and softeners apart from the significant savings of encapsulated products.
- There is also a significant reduction in potential allergies due to the reduction in volatile products. But microcapsules can easily be used in a different form. Spray-drying is not mandatory in this case.
- This is discouraged for reasons of cost, which in most cases is prohibitive.